Thursday, March 02, 2006

TVs in Mini-Vans

You have probably seen these TVs that fold down out of the ceiling in these mini-vans (and SUVs) that kids watch as their mom or dad dutifully drives them to soccer practice, ballet, or kids night at McDonald's.

I want to say first that I pledged a long time ago never to own a mini-van (the modern equivalent of the wood paneled station wagon with a backward seat in the rear!). Sorry to all you mini-van owners. I must admit to using the drop down dvd player on a recent trip to Massachusetts this past Christmas. We had rented an SUV for the ten hour trip that had one of those things. And I have to tell you there is nothing that can be prescribed that is more powerful than "Elmo the Wonder Drug"!

However, for me, I would not personally allow my child to watch one of those things just driving to the cleaners or across town. (I can hear the words of my mother in my ear- stop watching so much TV). But to each their own.

What all this does demonstrate is how much we have become such a visual culture. Sixty to ninety minutes of linear worship with one talking head up front is not creative enough for the greatest message God ever gave to humankind- the good news of Jesus Christ..

No comments: