Friday, July 13, 2007

Battersonisms

Mark Batterson is the lead pastor, founder and guru of National Community Church in Washington D.C. Mark is one of the sharpest people I have read and you can glean from him yourself from his blog here.

As I have read Mark for a while now he always seems to have this knack for coming up with pithy little sayings that hit the mark (no pun intended). In a recent post here about churches using theaters as meeting places and about the need to be kingdom minded instead of fiefdom minded Mark points out: "I've learned that there are two very different approaches to ministry: my kingdom come and thy kingdom come." That sums it up well- "my kingdom come versus thy kingdom come."

That, friends is a Battersonism. I do not know if Mark makes these up himself or steals them from others but they are great sayings that help define a missional mindset. Some other Battersonisms I remember off the top of my head include:

Criticize by creating.
Everything (they do at NCC) is an experiment.
Irrelevance = irreverence.
There are ways of doing church that have not even been dreamed up yet.

And many more I am sure!

No comments: