Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What To Do With Easter Lilies


I am fairly certain thee is no biblical support for the influx of Easter lilies on Easter Sunday though I am sure there are some traditions that have arisen around them (you know like the petals represent this, the stalk this, blah, blah). Yet, for me, even as one who did not grow up in the church- they are very much a part of Easter.


In most places that have Easter lilies I have seen people donate them in memory or honor of someone and it helps beautify the church on Easter Sunday and causes some preachers to sneeze a lot!


I do not know where I got this idea from, however, at New Season we are taking it a step further. After our Easter worship celebration experience we are going to take our lilies to area nursing homes, assisted living facilities etc. for persons who will not have a visitor this Easter. We are saying to our folks at New Season- instead of taking it home and having it die, or putting it in the ground, let the Easter lilies you donated be signs of Christ's love to somebody else. What better way to honor or remember someone.

No comments: