Sunday, June 01, 2008

Coming Home

I am really excited about the opportunity to return home to one of the first churches I served. At age 23 I went to serve my first appointment at the Caroline Charge (St. Paul's UMC and Mt. Vernon UMC). Interestingly, the previous pastor to me was 83! Talk about a change!! Today I get to go back and preach at Mt. Vernon's homecoming and enjoy some of the best eating known to man.

The folks at these churches had so much patience, demonstrated so much care, love and nurture that they have had great influence on my life, my ministry, and my family. I give God thanks for them and am just really treasuring the time to be with them.

Yet, just like returning home to the places we grew up, things change. Mostly that means that people I served, served with, cared for and loved in the three years I served at these churches are not around anymore. That stinks! But, that is part of what we celebrate today- God's faithfulness through these and other persons' witness and how their witness will help to shape the future. May God be praised!

No comments: