Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Not" To Do List

I am a list guy. I love "to do" lists. It keeps me organized and focused to have a to do list and gives me great joy to cross things off. I guess most type "a" personalities use to do lists.

The challenge though is not always to make more to do lists but to make "not" to do lists. This is especially true for leaders. I have found myself asking what am I doing that I do not need to be doing because it is either counter-productive or because somebody else could do it and probably do it better than me?

This gets to the struggle of many leaders of letting go of the good things in order to focus on THE thing and the struggle to give away ministry and give up control. One of the leadership gurus, I forget which one, has said if someone can do what you are doing at at least 80% of the level you are doing then give that to do away.

Creating not to dos is an area of growth for me where I have seem some success and hope to continue. Are you making a not to do list?

No comments: