Thursday, July 24, 2008

Untapped Potential

I find few things in the world as aggravating as people who do not use their full potential. It is so sad to see smart, gifted and capable people settle for less than they can be. How many times I have looked at someone's situation and thought "what a shame because they are no dummy." Or, "they are so gifted and could be doing so much more with their lives."

I think it grieves God's heart when we do not live out to the best of our abilities with his help our God given potential. Like everything else, our potential (our intellect, our giftedness, our capabilities) are God's gift to us. We are accountable for how we use our potential just as we are accountable for how we use our money or how we care for our children.

I like to think I live out my full potential. Perhaps I deceive myself. The question I wrestle with is who am I seeking to live out my full potential for? For me? For others (to receive their praise) or for God who has given me all that I have and will share glory with no other? Perhaps the motive for living out potential is just as important as whether we live up to potential at all.

No comments: