Monday, October 13, 2008

Here's My Plans God, Now Bless Them

When I was asked/ selected/ appointed/ sent to begin a new faith community in the Massaponax area of Fredericksburg I was excited. After the initial wave of excitement I then had what I call the "OS" moment(s) (I will let you translate).

In response to this ministry God had called me to I sought to read everything I could get my hands on that would help me with the question "How do I start a church?" Thankfully, people had blazed this past before me and shared their wisdom and I learned a lot.

Out of this reading I sought to develop a plan for the new church. But perhaps instead of reading, reading, reading I should have prayed, prayed prayed to the most expert of church planters Jesus Christ who said, "I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:18) Don't get me wrong I did a lot of praying. I sought the Lord's face in intentional ways. I believe ultimately it is God's vision and plan we are living into at New Season. But before I read the first word of the worldly experts of church planting, I should have spent extended time with the Lord. If I had to do it all over again, I would go away for a day or three to just pray and fast and immerse myself in his word and then journal seeking God's vision in an intense time of seeking his heart.

I don't think my quickness to "read" before "praying" is something that I alone am guilty of. I think we ask God so many times to bless our plans before we ask him what his plan is. We often times become the director instead of letting him direct our lives. This is true not only for church planting but for almost any aspect of our lives.

In 1 Chronicles 14:10-16a we see this principle laid out in David who had just become king. Before a major battle he does not rely on his battle strategy but "inquires" of God first. God tells him to go to battle and gives him the victory. Then he faces the same enemy again yet David does not rush into battle- he inquires of the Lord again. Once again David receives direction from the Lord and prevails.

Instead of asking God to bless my plans I am going to do my best to ask God what his plan is first. How about you?

No comments: