Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year Cleaning

The new year always helps me to clean out. I like to spend new year's day cleaning and organizing whether that be taking down Christmas decorations (yes, I know Christmas is not over until Jan. 6th but I have to do it while I have the energy) or purging files on my laptop. There is something about starting the new year fresh.

In Christ, we all have the opportunity to start fresh whether it be January 1st or August 12th. The good news for us is that through what he has done in his life, death, and resurrection he cleanses us. We accept his cleansing and then out of such a cleansing live our lives for him. He makes us whole. The new year points us to God's love made known in Christ.

As we approach the new year from a spiritual perspective perhaps we can ask Christ to purge us of sin, guilt, shame, unrighteous anger, animosity, un-forgiveness, prejudice, judgment and any other thing that separates us from the mind and life of Christ. The opportunity for a fresh start is always with us whether we have followed Jesus for 1 month or 40 years.

No comments: