Monday, January 05, 2009

Preparing the Way

I am doing a daily Bible reading plan that will take me through the New Testament and Psalms in a year. So, I am in Matthew 3 where John the Baptizer is preparing the way for Jesus and as I read the words there I was reminded of how followers of Jesus today merely "prepare the way" for Jesus' ministry.

I have become convinced of the theological truth that the church and followers of Jesus are in the business of creating environments, preparing the soil, and coming along side where Christ is already working in persons' lives. This is to say we till the garden, plant the seed, water, provide fertilizer and then wait for God to give the growth in a person's lives. Transforming other people's lives is God's business and we have the privilege to be like John and prepare the way.

This is what Paul was talking about in 1 Corinthians 3:5-7. He and Apollos both had unique roles preparing the way amongst the Corinthian Christians but it was God who gave the growth. This principle of scripture holds true today.

No comments: