Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Free Wi-fi, or Lack Thereof

My family and I recently visited a nice resort that had an indoor water park. As with most of these places, it was not cheap to stay or to play. And yet, I couldn't help but notice that in order to connect to the wi-fi available in the hotel it cost $5.95 a day. I have noticed this at some other places.

I question this practice. It is not that I feel I have any right to wi-fi, though I am sure some loose constructionist can find it in the constitution, I just think it is nickel and dimeing to charge for wi-fi when you are already paying a higher price to begin with. I certainly understand that there is a cost associated with providing wi-fi that is borne by the hotel, but come on, it is minimal. In fact, I have no problem really paying for it but add it to the cost of the room so I never see it. When I don't see it, it is less irritating. It is kind of like when taxes are taken out of your paycheck. If it is taken out before you see it, it is less irritating.

So, note to hotel operators, if I have a choice, and here I did not, I will not choose your hotel if you are going to charge me with an additional fee. Either give it to me for free or hide it in the cost of the room- which might be one in the same.

No comments: