Friday, January 08, 2010

Know Your Rhythm

I have been sharing some ways to be good stewards of time in 2010 that I have learned along the way and am working to put into practice.

I have the worst rhythm in the world. I can't clap to a song to save my life. Well, I can if I watch somebody else clap, but then don't ask me to clap and sing at the same time. You get the picture.

But all of us have natural body rhythms that affect how we use our time. For example, some people are morning people (larks), others are evening people (owls). Larks do their best work and are most creative in the morning. Owls do their best work in the evening.

I am a lark. I like to get up early and get the day going before anybody else is up and spend time with God. But when 2PM or 3PM rolls around I am largely useless. I am dragging. This is my body rhythm. In light of this I made a change. Like many, I used to work out in the morning then go to the office. Inevitably, every afternoon I would hit the wall and be less effective. Noticing this I switched my routine and most times go to physically exercise in the afternoon. This allows me to use my best time in the morning and early afternoon before I hit the wall so that I can be most effective and creative.

Don't let your body rhythms control you. You exploit the rhythm.

No comments: